At startup, Dr. Geo asks me to choose an image file, what is it?
It occurs when the direcotry's path Dr. Geo belongs to contains accented characters. Move Dr. Geo to a directory without accented characters in its path and try again (this problem was reported under Windows).
Can I run it in my Linux 64 bits host?
Linux Dr. Geo is compiled for 32 bits host. To run it on your Linux 64 bits host, you need to install 32 bits compatibility package. This package will let you run any 32 bits compiled software on a 64 bits host. Depending on the distribution, the package to install may have different name.
Debian, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Linux Mint
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch
Then add the 32 bits compatibility packages:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
How to install manually Dr. Geo in my XO?
In the transition to the latest XO software release, some people have had trouble downloading and installing the Dr. Geo bundle. If installation through Browse activity fails, try the following steps:
From the Terminal activity, remove any previous Dr. Geo bundle:
rm -rf /home/olpc/Activities/DrGeoII.activity
Restart Sugar by pressing simultaneously Ctrl+Alt+Erase
so Sugar takes notice of the removal. Then from the terminal activity do:
It will install the bundle in /home/olpc/Activities, if /home/olpc/Activities does not exist and Sugar complains about that, you can create it first:
Then press the keys Ctrl+Alt+Erase
to restart the GUI, you can then install the new bundle.
Can I install Dr. Geo in my own Pharo Smalltalk?
Yes, you can.
You want to install Dr. Geo in your own Pharo Smalltalk image. You have to use the Monticello versioning system. This tool is part of Pharo:
- In Monticello, add the repository http://www.squeaksource.com/DrGeoII and install the latest DrGeoII-Core and DrGeoII-Polymoprh packages.
- In the workspace, type: DrGeo new. (Make sure not to omit the period), select the entire piece of code, and press alt-d, then a Dr. Geo II window appears. For a smaller Dr. Geo canvas without toolbar execute the code: DrGeo sample openInWorld
- Click in an empty space in the Smalltalk background and select in the menu save and quit. This saves a snapshot of your Pharo environment with Dr. Geo installed. Next time you enter Pharo, all windows will appear at their current locations.
Can I install Dr. Geo in Squeak and Etoys?
Yes, you can.
You want to install Dr. Geo in your own Squeak Smalltalk image or Etoys.
You have to use the Monticello versioning system. This tool is part of
Squeak, for Etoys you have to use the developer version (Important note: Dr. Geo is part of the Etoys 2010 version, so you don't need to do anything):
- In Monticello, add the repository http://www.squeaksource.com/DrGeoII and install the latest DrGeoII-Core and DrGeoII-Etoys packages. The later package extend Dr. Geo with Etoys graphical scriptabilities.
- In the workspace, execute DrGeo sample openInWorld. Alternatively, you can drag a Dr. Geo canvas from the graphical parts bin/supplies tool.
- Click in an empty space in the Smalltalk background, and select in the menu save and quit. This saves a snapshot of your Squeak/Etoys environment with Dr. Geo installed. Next time you enter Squaek/Etoys, all windows will appear at their current locations.
Is there documentation?
We have also the documentation for Dr. Geo 1.1, translated in several languages:
Do you have funny examples to look at ?
Dr. Geo is distributed with a set of sketches you can load directly from the dialog to load a sketch, in the Examples repository.
Can I put an image in Dr. Geo
Yes, you can: drag an image from your file browser directly in the Dr. Geo window.
What is this Dr. Geo 1.1?
It is a previous complete version written in C++ for GNU/Linux. There is also a Mac OS X version on the internet.
You can browse our source code and packages repository.
This version is shipped in all major Linux distributions, so you better try to install it from the dedicated repository.
Technical and Community Q&A
Where is the source code?
How can I participate to the code?
Every Dr. Geo release is both a ready to use application for kids and a development studio!
To play with the newest code and to participate, open a Workspace then execute this code:
It will restore the default System menu. From it you gain access to the Dr. Geo source code repository through Monticello tool.
To make this change permanent, Save from the System menu.
For any further questions, ask in the Dr. Geo forum
How to report bug?
You can review bug reports from the Dr. Geo bug tracker.
You can also report bugs there, but you need to create an account first. If you don't fell comfortable with bug tracker, you can report it to me
directly and I will fill it, but better if you manage it yourself.
Which native languages are available?
English, French, German, Spanish, etc. See translate.drgeo.eu.
How can I translate Dr. Geo in my native language?
Dr. Geo uses the Gettext technology to translate its user interface. The Launchpad web service is used to edit the messages from a web browser. To edit or to update Dr. Geo translation, visit translate.drgeo.eu.
If you prefer a text editor to edit the translation files, write to us at email@example.com to explain you want to translate Dr. Geo. We will send you two files: DrGeoII.pot and pharo.pot to translate. You will edit these files and translate each msgid in the msgstr string. Then send us the resulting files. Important note: you must edit your file with the utf-8 encoding (more likely the default encoding in your system).
How to test a translation I just did?
Suppose you want to test the Korean translation you just did. Do as following:
- Go to http://translate.drgeo.eu
- In the translation table, click on Korean (If necessary select View all languages)
- There are two message catalogs: pharo and drgeoii. Clic on the one you need to test. Suppose you want to test drgeoii.
- Press the Download translation link and choose MO Format
- You will receive an email with an attached file.
Download and save it as DrGeo.app/Contents/Resources/locale/ko/LC_MESSAGES/DrGeoII.mo
- Restart Dr. Geo.
To test the messages from the pharo catalog, change the name accordingly.
You get the general idea.